Free Online Ordinations - The Univeral Life Church Monastery Ministry Products - The Univeral Life Church Monastery Wedding Law - The Univeral Life Church Monastery Guide to Divinity - The Univeral Life Church Monastery

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New York Marriage Equality Act
Kingfisher
post Jun 28 2011, 09:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,445

For those who haven't been embroiled in this battle I wanted to share a link to the text of the bill [A08354] for easy reference. Very short and to the point, it essentially declares that under state law it does not matter what gender the parties to marriage are, nor is this a separate measure defining the rights of same-sex couples as many "civil union" statutes do. Existing marriage laws will cover same-sex ceremonies and legal relationships, so those already familiar with them should not have to study additional reams to prepare. It should also be noted that the bill does not require ANY minister to participate, as well as providing civil protection for those who refuse. Those who disapprove (whether adhering to their specific church doctrine or personal belief) will not suddenly be forced to choose between the law and their faith, it simply provides the opportunity to proceed for those who wish to do so.

Additionally, the bill also specifically addresses and further modifies the portion of domestic relations law (Article 3, Section 11, regarding who is authorized to solemnize marriage) that should finally clear the last potential legal hurdles for ULC ministers (esp. those without formal congregations) in NY to be recognized as legitimate clergy. NYC is still a different animal and I'm not a lawyer, so input regarding additional complications specific thereto, if any, would be appreciated. Even if you don't support same-sex marriage or perform weddings, this is good news for the ULC!

The law will take effect 24 July 2011.

Good luck, and deepest blessings to ALL who join together in those sacred vows!!

I♥NY!

--------------------
*This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_To`na Wanagi_*
post Jun 29 2011, 01:27 AM
Post #2

Guests

Kingfisher; Thank you for the concise information. It is indeed a time to celebrate diversity....God's Peace......To`na Wanagi

+Quote Post
Reverend Nichola...
post Dec 21 2011, 12:23 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,584

QUOTE (Kingfisher @ Jun 28 2011, 04:41 PM) *
For those who haven't been embroiled in this battle I wanted to share a link to the text of the bill [A08354] for easy reference. Very short and to the point, it essentially declares that under state law it does not matter what gender the parties to marriage are, nor is this a separate measure defining the rights of same-sex couples as many "civil union" statutes do. Existing marriage laws will cover same-sex ceremonies and legal relationships, so those already familiar with them should not have to study additional reams to prepare. It should also be noted that the bill does not require ANY minister to participate, as well as providing civil protection for those who refuse. Those who disapprove (whether adhering to their specific church doctrine or personal belief) will not suddenly be forced to choose between the law and their faith, it simply provides the opportunity to proceed for those who wish to do so.

Additionally, the bill also specifically addresses and further modifies the portion of domestic relations law (Article 3, Section 11, regarding who is authorized to solemnize marriage) that should finally clear the last potential legal hurdles for ULC ministers (esp. those without formal congregations) in NY to be recognized as legitimate clergy. NYC is still a different animal and I'm not a lawyer, so input regarding additional complications specific thereto, if any, would be appreciated. Even if you don't support same-sex marriage or perform weddings, this is good news for the ULC!

The law will take effect 24 July 2011.

Good luck, and deepest blessings to ALL who join together in those sacred vows!!

I♥NY!

+Quote Post
Reverend Nichola...
post Dec 21 2011, 12:28 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,584

Kingfisher, I recently became Ordained, I received the necessary documents and went to the city clerk in NYC, they viewed everything and issued my license to become a Wedding officiant. When you are on the sides of the angeles; Wonders are infinite.

Thank You

Reverend Nicholas lake biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 11:58 PM