Free Online Ordinations - The Univeral Life Church Monastery Ministry Products - The Univeral Life Church Monastery Wedding Law - The Univeral Life Church Monastery Guide to Divinity - The Univeral Life Church Monastery

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Universal Golden Rules, Many lamps. One Light.
Anagarika Sevaka
post Nov 28 2010, 10:11 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,148

In all these ways we are not so different.
In all these ways there are many lamps but one light:

Lay not on any soul a load that you would not wish to be laid upon you, and desire not for anyone the things you would not desire for yourself.
- Baha’i Faith; Baha'u'llah; Gleanings
Treat not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful.
- Buddhism; Shakyamuni Buddha; Udana-Varga 5.18
In everything, do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets.
- Christianity; Jesus; Matthew 7:12
One word which sums up the basis of all good conduct....loving-kindness. Do not do to others what you do not want done to yourself.
- Confucianism; Confucius; Analects 15.23
This is the sum of duty: do not do to others what would cause pain if done to you.
- Hinduism; Mahabharata 5:1517
Not one of you truly believes until you wish for others what you wish for yourself.
- Islam; Prophet Muhammad; Hadith
One should treat all creatures in the world as one would like to be treated.
Jainism; Mahavira; Sutrakritanga 1.11.33
What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour. This is the whole Torah; all the rest is commentary. Go and learn it.
- Judaism; Hillel; Talmud; Shabbath 31a
I am a stranger to no one; and no one is a stranger to me. Indeed, I am a friend to all.
- Sikhism; Guru Granth Sahib; p.1299
Regard your neighbour's gain as your own gain and your neighbour's loss as your own loss.
- Taoism; Lao Tzu; T'ai Shang Kan Ying P'ien 213-218
We affirm and promote respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
- Unitarianism; Unitarian Principles
Do not do unto others whatever is injurious to yourself.
- Zoroastrianism; Shayast-na-Shayast 13.29
(This list is not complete. Please help expand it by adding similar sayings applicable to your path, if possible by including where it is written/who said it.)
In Friendship,
Anagarika Sevaka
P.S.
If you would like to see a poster of these, here is the link: http://www.scarboromissions.ca/Golden_rule/poster_order.php
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Count Iblis_*
post Jan 4 2011, 06:00 AM
Post #2

Guests

I believe in something known as the Brass Rule: Do unto others as they have done unto you. Though I'm not a Satanist, the Satanic Bible has 3 of its 9 Satanic statements based on this rule:

4) Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates!

5) Satan represents vengeance, instead of turning the other cheek!

6) Satan represents responsibility to the responsible, instead of concern for psychic vampires!

In my younger days I followed the Christian path and Golden Rule and found myself being taken advantage of and emotionally drained. This lead to some pretty bad depression which I only snapped out of when I abandoned Christianity and adopted the Brass Rule.

+Quote Post
Guest_To`na Wanagi_*
post Jan 4 2011, 01:10 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (Count Iblis @ Jan 3 2011, 11:00 PM) *
I believe in something known as the Brass Rule: Do unto others as they have done unto you. Though I'm not a Satanist, the Satanic Bible has 3 of its 9 Satanic statements based on this rule:

4) Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates!

5) Satan represents vengeance, instead of turning the other cheek!

6) Satan represents responsibility to the responsible, instead of concern for psychic vampires!

In my younger days I followed the Christian path and Golden Rule and found myself being taken advantage of and emotionally drained. This lead to some pretty bad depression which I only snapped out of when I abandoned Christianity and adopted the Brass Rule.

Tha's too bad, and very, very sad! sad.gif

"Whoso keepeth the commandment shall feel no evil thing: and a wise man's heart discerneth both time and judgment. Because to every purpose there is time and judgment, therefore the misery of man is great upon him. For he knoweth not that which shall be: for who can tell him when it shall be? There is no man that hat power over the spirit to retain the spirit; neither hath he power in the day of death: and there is no discharge in that war; neither shall wickedness deliver those that are given to it. All thishave I seen, and applied my heart to every work that is done under the sun: there is a time wherein one man ruleth over another to his own hurt. And so I saw the wicked buried, who had come and gone from the place of the holy, and they were forgotten in the city where they had so done: this also is vanity." Ecclesiastes 8:5-10

"5. As thou knowest not what is the way of the spirit, nor how the bones do grow in the womb of her that is with child: even so thou knowest not the works of God who maketh all. 9. Rejoice O young man, in thy youth; and let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth, and walk in the ways of thine heart, and in the sight of thine eyes: but know thou, that for all these things God will bring thee into judgment. 10. Therefore remove sorrow from thy heart, and put away evil from thy flesh: for childhood and youth are vanity." Ecclesiastes 11: 5 & 9-10

"9. And moreover, because the Preacher was wise, he still taught the people knowledge; yea, he gave good heed, and sought out, and set in order many proverbs. 10.The Preacher sought to find out acceptable words: and that which was written was upright, even words of truth. 11. The words of the wise are as goads, and as nails fastened by the masters of aasemblies, which are given from one shepherd. 12. And further, by these my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh. 13. Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. 14. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil." Ecclesiastes 12:9-14

........God's Peace........To`na Wanagi

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 11:52 PM